What a year for a new year. We need it like we needed life, I guess. Last one left us lying in a mess... What a night for a sunrise (and we thought the dark would never end.) Reaching out to try to find a friend... What a day for a new day, and our star shines like a miracle, and our world is almost beautiful again...
So Christmas came and went, as inconspicuously as ever. It was nice, but the day just sort of slipped through my fingers before I was able to realize what was going on. It's been that way for the past couple of years, and despite my awareness of the day's elusive tendencies, I can't quite figure out how to make it seem more established. I think TV and movies are to blame for that ... I subconsciously expect a major catastrophe or big production number, complete with song-and-dance, to occur, and when they don't, I can't help but feel like something's missing. Don't we all deserve to have a squirrel jump out of our Christmas tree as Chinese waiters sing "Deck the Halls" and the local townspeople give you money to help keep open the Building & Loan?
It was a warm Christmas, though, and I guess that's good enough for me.
And now it's the New Year . Looking back on this past year, there's not too much you can say about it: good stuff, shitty stuff, and everything in between ... moving (3x)... trips to Disney World ... marriage... divorce ... dating; all over again... relearning all the "rules" ... being introduced to the world of Portugal... bbq's ... having 100+ great moments in Orlando... taking risks and failing to communicate ... friends ... many a late night chat conversation ... dozing off in hammocks ... meeting new people ... Las Olas... a new car ... realizing who your "real friends" are ... silly crushes that lasted a week ... not-so-silly crushes that continue to this day ... learning all the words to my favorite oldies songs ... new jobs ... driving around with no real destination ... New Jersey ... Starbucks ... family ... a surprise candle delivery and a road trip that lasted 22 hours... missed opportunities, failed attempts, hope for the future ... and a new bedroom.
2002, in a nutshell. The good, the bad, the ugly, and lots of memories...
And now on to 2003, with a wish in mind and having watched Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve on TV. Of course, I plan to make a few resolutions. Sure, hardly any will last. But, if only for a brief champagne-induced moment (ha right), I have hope that this year will be good for me .. for everyone .. and is as random as they come.
"May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future." - Irish Blessing
The end.
So Christmas came and went, as inconspicuously as ever. It was nice, but the day just sort of slipped through my fingers before I was able to realize what was going on. It's been that way for the past couple of years, and despite my awareness of the day's elusive tendencies, I can't quite figure out how to make it seem more established. I think TV and movies are to blame for that ... I subconsciously expect a major catastrophe or big production number, complete with song-and-dance, to occur, and when they don't, I can't help but feel like something's missing. Don't we all deserve to have a squirrel jump out of our Christmas tree as Chinese waiters sing "Deck the Halls" and the local townspeople give you money to help keep open the Building & Loan?
It was a warm Christmas, though, and I guess that's good enough for me.
And now it's the New Year . Looking back on this past year, there's not too much you can say about it: good stuff, shitty stuff, and everything in between ... moving (3x)... trips to Disney World ... marriage... divorce ... dating; all over again... relearning all the "rules" ... being introduced to the world of Portugal... bbq's ... having 100+ great moments in Orlando... taking risks and failing to communicate ... friends ... many a late night chat conversation ... dozing off in hammocks ... meeting new people ... Las Olas... a new car ... realizing who your "real friends" are ... silly crushes that lasted a week ... not-so-silly crushes that continue to this day ... learning all the words to my favorite oldies songs ... new jobs ... driving around with no real destination ... New Jersey ... Starbucks ... family ... a surprise candle delivery and a road trip that lasted 22 hours... missed opportunities, failed attempts, hope for the future ... and a new bedroom.
2002, in a nutshell. The good, the bad, the ugly, and lots of memories...
And now on to 2003, with a wish in mind and having watched Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin Eve on TV. Of course, I plan to make a few resolutions. Sure, hardly any will last. But, if only for a brief champagne-induced moment (ha right), I have hope that this year will be good for me .. for everyone .. and is as random as they come.
"May the best day of your past be the worst day of your future." - Irish Blessing
The end.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home